I’ve had my current truck since I was 17. I’m 25 now. I loved my truck in high school and college (though I did leave him at home for the first three years). Even my first year out of school when I had to get three new tire changes because I kept running over curbs. After all, that wasn’t the truck’s fault.
Then two years ago, I had some major repairs and ended up financing about $1000, and making some more repairs for $400 a couple months later.
Then this January, I needed a new fuel pump and a few other repairs, which added up to $1200.
Right after that, the service engine light came on again.
That pretty much made me stop loving my truck.
So, I’m saving up for a new vehicle. I don’t need anything super fancy, but I have some standards. Here they are, for you to judge and amuse.
- It has to be pleasant looking. I have no color requirements, though I’d love another blue vehicle, but it needs to be fairly free of dents, dings, and blemishes, and the inside needs to be clean.
- I need air conditioning. I’ve lived without it for too long. It is mandatory. Idaho summers are too hot, and commuting is the bane of my existence. Air conditioning would help.
- I’d like a four-door vehicle. I’ve been limited by having a truck where three people are pretty squished inside. I’d like to be able to drive when more than one friend wants to go somewhere.
- I need a large trunk or storage area to haul things, because I’d rather be the person people ask for help moving, than the moving person who needs to hunt down willing help.
- I’d like less than 80,000 miles. My truck has 137,000, so I’d like to be trading up in terms of longevity.
- I also want something with good gas mileage. Currently my truck gets 24 mpg, which isn’t the worst, but since I commute, it’d be nice to get even better.
So those are my standards. My goal is to get something by December, so I can start off the new year focused only on my student loans. Here’s hoping!